17 June 2006

The Great Pop vs. Soda Debate

Throughout my life I have been thrown through the full range of the "POP or SODA or COKE" debate, and now it seems there is finally a visual to back it up! The map below (click to enlarge) shows how it is possible for a young boy born in Cincinnatti to call carbonated beverages "soda-pop" to move to Michigan, where the "soda" was dropped, and then to have to change to "soda" or "coke" upon arriving in Florida. As if that was not enough, I got to Minnesota and was forced to call it "pop" again, but by this point I don't give a damn, and now in NZ I have been calling them "fizzies," so i think all hope is lost. I guess I will say whatever fits the situation, but i could not pass up this study...Check it out.



Generic Names for Soft Drinks by County, unfortunately based on only 120,464 respondents (via eyeteeth).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home